Paul Ambrose Health Care for All Leadership Institute
2013/2014 Program Pending Sponsorship. Please check back
momentarily for updates. If you are interesting in sponsoring this
event, please contact email@example.com.
Passionate about health care reform? Want to understand more about what is happening in the U.S. health care system? Interested in becoming a leader in addressing the challenges of access, quality, and affordability that our system faces?
PAHCALI is your opportunity to learn about these issues and to develop the advocacy skills and strategies to become effective advocates and future leaders in health care. We will meet with Washington insiders experienced with the issues at hand, current leaders within AMSA, and take the opportunity to lobby our members of Congress about health care policy. The skills and knowledge you will acquire can be used to conduct your own legislative visits with Congressional offices and implement local projects at your schools and in your communities.
For over fifty years, AMSA has been a leader in the fight for affordable health care for all. Through leadership training, coalition building, and grassroots community work, AMSA continues this proud tradition today.
As embodied in our constitution, AMSA supports the establishment of "universal health care in America, as defined by guaranteeing access to quality and affordable health care for all persons living in the United States." There are many possible paths to reach this goal, and given the recent policy changes in the U.S. with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act or "Obamacare," there will be a great deal to discuss this year.
The PAHCALI Institute was created to provide students with the training they need to become leaders in this movement on the local, state, and national levels.
If you believe...
- that today's health care system falls far short of the needs of our patients and communities
- that significant health care reform is needed now
- that future physicians must be active in the fight for a universal health care for all system, and
- that YOU can be a leader in the movement to achieve health care for all,
... then PAHCALI is for you!
Selected applicants will:
- Learn from national experts about the uninsured, different strategies for achieving health care for all at the state and national levels, Medicare and Medicaid, international health care systems, and more.
- Learn from veterans of universal health care campaigns about the process of grassroots organizing, including coalition-building, and strategic campaign planning.
- Learn and practice the basics of grassroots advocacy: call-ins, letter-writing, public speaking, lobbying, and more.
- Learn about the concept of framing as it applies to universal health care.
- Have an opportunity to lobby Congress on a topic related to health care access.
If selected to participate, we will strongly suggest you:
- Read selected articles prior to the institute.
- Plan and implement a local project focused on health care for all.
Applicantsselected to participate will be expected to pay the tuition fee.
- AMSA Members: $249
- AMSA Non-Members: $299
Tuition includes breakfast for Saturday, Sunday and Monday; lunch for Saturday and Sunday; as well as 3 nights of hotel accommodations (Fr, Sa & Su - 4 persons to a room). Participants will have the opportunity to request a 2-person shared accommodation for an additional $100.
All program fees go towards direct costs for the institute (lodging, meals, supplies, and transportation to Capitol Hill). AMSA has worked hard to provide participants with a unique, enjoyable, and educational experience while keeping costs at a minimum.
Participants will be responsible for all other meals and travel expenses, including airfare and/or ground transportation. Given that the institute will be held in Washington, DC, participants will have some flexibility in flying into the areas' three airports: Ronald Reagan National Airport (AMSA recommended airport) (DCA); Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) or Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI).
You will be expected to arrive the Friday night (Feb 1) preceding the institutes start. There will be a Friday evening meet and greet with other participant so make sure to arrive early.